Window Cord Safety
Doing what we can to keep your family safe
Being that we are a third generation family owned and operated business, your family’s safety is a top priority to us. We are dedicated to bringing awareness to customer’s about basic window cord safety. It is our job to present the dangers of accessible cords and provide child-safe custom window coverings.
Basic Window Cord Safety
When window covering cords are accessible to small children, these seemingly harmless products may become strangulation hazards. If at all possible, use only non-corded window coverings in homes where infants, young children and pets are present. If you currently have corded window coverings and are unable to replace them with today’s safer products, check them for the following hazards and order WCSC’s free retrofit kits as needed.
What you can do TODAY to make your home a safer place
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
- Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children. Eliminate any dangling cords.
- Make sure that tasseled pull cords are as short as possible
- Check that cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords.
- Continuous-loop cords on draperies and vertical blinds should be permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
The window covering industry uses warning tags, labels, and various other methods to communicate potential hazards of corded window coverings. In this example, the warning labels is providing an important message about cords becoming a potential strangulation hazard and suggests choosing a cordless alternative for the product.